Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Feeling Snappy!

Look out!....the flour is flying!
I am in the midst of Thanksgiving baking.
As we speak, the timer is beeping in the kitchen.
Another pan of Ginger Snaps is finished.


Ginger snaps are one of my favorite cookies,
and I am very picky about their taste.
To me, a great ginger snap should have many layers of flavor.
And these little cookies deliver.

I took a basic recipe and worked with it until it had just the right amount of "snap."
Take a bite....
first your salivary glands will start to moisten your mouth from the buttery, slightly salty taste.
Chew a little and you become aware of the sweetness and spiciness.
Then....WHAM!..
the snap hits you and you get a peppery-ginger sensation on the back of your tongue.
Perfect wind-up and perfect follow through.....in baseball terms.

In honor of this sensational experience,
I am sharing my recipe with you.....

Enjoy!!!

Snappy Ginger Snaps

3/4 cup butter 
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup molasses
2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves (I use a heaping 1/2 tsp.)
1 tsp. cinnamon (heaping, again)
2 tsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp. ground red cayenne pepper

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and beat til smooth.  Add salt, molasses and spices and beat til well mixed.  Add flour and beat until  well mixed.

Roll tsp. sized dough into balls. (cookies will flatten)  You can roll balls in sugar if you choose, but I don't bother.   Bake at 375 for 14 minutes

Let me know if you don't think these are just the snappiest EVAH!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Junebug said...

They sound wonderful. I've printed it off and I'm on my way to the grocery store. Crystallized ginger I don't have it in the cupboard. Happy Thanksgiving to your family and all the animals too!!

This N That said...

Mmmm..I'll bet they're snappy good..:)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Ginger and cayenne pepper! The gotta be snappy! Wishing you and yours a happy day of thanksgiving. Tammy

Katmom said...

OMG! red cyanne pepper... I never saw a gingersnap recipe with it... I just might have to try this one!
hugz!

Denise from DFW said...

We love gingersnaps and I have to try this recipe. I ran out and bought the crystallized ginger last night. Flour - I don't see the measurement in your list of ingredients - HELP! SOS!

Rose Cantiero said...

Deve ficar uma delĂ­cia. Vou experimentar.
Bj
Rose

http://amigasqueengordam.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails