Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vintage Treasures


I thought I would show you one of my most prized possessions. This Victorian doll house stands about 18" tall and is about 18" wide. It is 70+ years old and is carved entirely out of old wooden cigar boxes. One of my Mother's uncles carved it for her when she was very young. During her childhood and mine it occupied a place underneath the Christmas tree where my Grandmother would set up a Christmas village. It's inhabitants are porcelain figurines that were popular after the War. I have enjoyed displaying this beautiful piece of craftsmanship year-round for all of my adult years. It truly is one of my treasures. A light burns inside always...a reminder that home is always a warm, cozy safe haven.

5 comments:

Margie said...

Wow! What a unique treasure! That is so cool. I just wonder, being made out of cigar boxes, is it sturdy, or is it fragile? It looks like it could be either, with all that detail it looks fragile, but then in other places, it looks very sturdy! I love the dolls that are with it!

Your Christmas apron below is just precious! You are so talented!

Have a lovely day!
Margie :)

KKJD1 said...

How beautiful and a great family heirloom.
Blessings,Karen

Jean Tuthill said...

Your dollhouse is truly a wonderful work of art. It is so pretty and totally unique. Thanks for sharing.

Tina Leavy said...

wow..how beautiful!

CountryintheBurbs said...

OMG! That is so beautiful! You are so lucky to have a treasure like that. I am jealous!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails