Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Adventures in Beekeeping

Besides packing all of our belongings and moving them into storage, I have been busy getting ready for this year's beekeeping.
We have had beehives at our farm for the past 3 years, but I have only sporadically helped with tending them. This Spring, I will take over the position of full time beekeeper. I have ordered 5 more hives and 5 colonies of bees to fill these hives.
So, I thought, since I will not be able to sew this summer, I can do some other outdoor crafts instead. I am going to paint my hives white and then get out the craft paints and do a bit of folk art painting on the hives...just to pretty them up! I am also in search of wooden finials to use as decor on the rooftops of the hives. I have ordered English Garden Hives like pictured below (not my picture). They come in unpainted wood. I love what this person did with theirs......
Beekeeping encompasses many activities....construction of the hive body and frames, feeding the bees in the spring, adding supers (boxes for honey) as needed, harvesting honey...and then bottling and selling, making beeswax candles and finally getting the beehives winterized. It does not require a lot of time, though. For the most part, the bees take care of themselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to keep bees but don't know how to start. Is there a book/website or any other liturature that you can recommend?

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

What an interesting project to do. Can't wait to hear more about this venture! blessings,Kathleen

Egghead said...

My grandfather kept a couple of hives and I love fresh honey. I buy it from a local beekeeper here. I can't wait to see you chronicle the process.

Yarni Gras! said...

I think this is WONDERFUL. My husband mentioned keeping bees one day to me....I think I'll show him your blog :-)

beverleejb said...

Hi Bev, this is Bev from New York
The only way I come close to bees is I buy raw honey from Vermont and eat it every day.
It is so healthy and delicious while consuming a tablespoon a day I am not eating sugar :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails