Friday, April 2, 2010

Vintage Lighting

If you read my blog occasionally, you will know that
I love all things vintage and antique.
If I need some special touch for the house,
I don't shop in stores....
I hit the antiques mall.

Wednesday Hubbs and I did a little antiquing.
It was my birthday, so I got to pick the
activity for the day.
Of course it was antiquing!

I was searching for the perfect oil lamp for my
guest bedroom.
You know, the fussy lavender bedroom.

A little searching, and 
I found exactly what I was searching for.

This lamp is a beauty.
It has wonderfully intricate cast iron work.

But, the best part of it is the mercury glass reflector.
It is almost impossible to find these lamps complete with the original
mercury glass reflector.

Hanging next to it (see top picture) is a cast iron
match holder.
Could there possibly be any more romantic lighting than this?
I can hardly wait for the sun to go down,
so that I can light it.

This lamp hangs above my turn of the century 
Thomas Edison Victrola...
...that still plays its very thick records....
by hand crank...

another one of my family treasures.
Here is the current display on the top of the victrola.
I love antiques, but antiques that still work and are useful
are my favorites.
I have decorated my home with items that could
actually save us if, heaven forbid, we lose power for
an extended period of time.
Or, if perhaps, someday I decide to get off the energy grid, altogether,
well, I suppose I am ready!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We think on the same lines. I love useable old stuff! Ha!
Happy Birthday, late! Hope you had a fun one, sure looks like it from the post.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Perfect lighting, love it.
Happy Easter Beverly!!!
Bonnie

Junebug said...

How beautiful!!! And to have the original mercury reflector. Wow, wow, wow!! What a treasure you have found! Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Anke said...

Happy Birthday Bev! It sounds like you had a great day with your Hubbs, and the lamp is just beautiful.
Hope you have a wonderful and happy Easter!

Sandy said...

Love your oil lamp Bev. It is so pretty.

Happy Easter to you and your family (including all the creatures great and small)!

Teacup Lane (Sandy)

Anonymous said...

that's a beauty..what a find..glad you have it..Happy Easter

Related Posts with Thumbnails