Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chocolate For a Rainy Day!

I am not sure how much more rain I can take.

Or should I say, how much more rain my waistline can take!
Saturday's weather was as much like a monsoon as I have ever experienced,
so I spent the day baking,
and baking,
and baking.

I started with bread....

Next, moved to cookies...

Followed that with a double batch of black and white biscotti...

The grand finale was this chocolate fudge cake...

I am sure it is the best I have ever made...maybe even the best I have ever eaten.
It is so, so yummy, that I thought I would share the recipe, in case you wanted to try it too!

Wellesley Fudge Cake

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup water
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt chocolate in water in saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.  Add 1/2 cup of the sugar; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.  Cool.  Mix flour, soda and salt.  Cream butter.  Gradually beat in remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each.  Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating after each addition until smooth.  Blend in vanilla and chocolate mixture.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch layer pans.  Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.  Cool in pans 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and finish cooling on rack.  Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides.  Garnish with chipped nuts, if desired.

Classic Fudge Frosting

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups confectioners sugar
dash of salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt chocolate with butter over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.  Remove from heat.  Combine sugar, salt, milk and vanilla.  Add chocolate, blending well.  If necessary, let stand until of spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.  Spread quickly, adding a small amount of additional milk if frosting thickens. 

Note, I used a couple bars of this for my unsweetened chocolate...

Yummy, rich, dark chocolaty decadence!

Here's hoping the sun soon shines,
or I will weigh a ton!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I know what you mean. Yesterday we didn't have that much rain but it was soooo windy and cold we couldn't be outside long. I made choc chip cookies. I have to admit my reason was a little different. We had just come home from the grocery store and spent our normal amount(ouch) only to realize we had nothing to snack on. The dogs and all the birds however,were stocked up very nicely. Soooo cookies coming up. hehe. Have fun today. Lisa

This N That said...

I gained 5 lbs just looking at all your goodies...Yum

Cindy said...

Oh my! Can I come to your house and sample? But really, I'm trying to lose quite a bit of weight and I'm not baking like usual.

Egghead said...

The sunshine will soon come to wipe away all that rain. That cake looks divine!!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Love the cake recipe and you can send some of the rain down to Texas, we are so dry...

Heather said...

I am excited to try this recipe. I think I will make this for the guys at my husband's work.

Katmom said...

all I can say is, Yuuummmmmmmyyy!
>^..^<

Maggie Ann said...

Yum! Your biscotti looks delish! And those Easter cookies are wonderful, though the bee on your sidebar makes me antsy.....he looks real with those wings going like that...lol.

Dianne said...

I live in Oregon and, oh, how well I know about the rain...and the days of baking. I must say all of these rainy day offerings look delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails