Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another Laundry Essential

On the subject of laundry essentials (see recent posts), I decided to make my own laundry detergent.

 I had seen a posting by my friend Mary Jane of the Beehive Cottage.  She posted a recipe which I decided to try.

It is super easy, super inexpensive and according to Mary Jane makes clothes sparkle.  I can hardly wait to try my

"Busy Bee
 Clean and Green 
Concentrated Laundry Powder".  

I had to package it in something "vintagey" so I made my own bags and labels.....

Recipe:
4 lbs. Borax
4 lbs. Washing Soda
4 lbs. Baking Soda
3 bars Fels Naptha soap (grated)

Only 2 tablespoons of this is needed for one load of laundry....so this recipe should last quite a long time.  I have a front-loader, so I will dissolve 2 tbsp. in a bit of warm water to add to the detergent dispenser.
I will let you know what I think of it after next Laundry Day.

4 comments:

Diana said...

I made this recipe about a year ago, and I love it. It's not strong enough in the hard water we have here in Eastern Washington, but I use it as a booster with my regular detergent, and it works very well. Love to read your blog, and enjoy the pictures.

Michle said...

Please post with the results of your laundry detergent. I would love to try making my own detergent but am not sure if it would work with my front loading he machine. Hope it works for you because I really want to try it myself.

Michle

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Once I saw this on Mary Jane's blog I have been wanting to make it. Seeing your cute packaging just makes me want to do this NOW.
Love your clothespin bag.

Anke said...

I've been making our own laundry detergent for a while now, but mine doesn't have the baking soda in it. We've been happy with the results of the detergent and so far my front loader seems to have no issues with it. Of course my detergent isn't packaged as pretty as yours. Those labels are lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails