Sunday, August 29, 2010

Making Hay

We brought in the hay this weekend.
With the help of a neighbor and his equipment,
we cut and baled and stored about 400 bales of hay.
We had harvested 800 bales earlier this summer.

Luckily, 3 of our 4 kids were home to help with the job.

Traditionally, we have a big supper after hay harvest...
to celebrate a job well done.

This time I decided to go all out and try a whole bunch of recipes
from a book that I just received as a gift.
(Thank you Eileen....I LOVE it!!)
This book if full of beautiful pictures and wonderful
recipes from restaurants in the Brandywine River Valley, PA.
As I digested each page, I made a list of recipes
that I wanted to try.
Today I tried them all....
in one delicious feast of a dinner.
I have to say, though, I cooked all day long.
(It was worth it!)

Menu

Wild mushroom and jumbo lump crab soup 
(fabulous...I will include recipe below)

Leek and herb tart

 Pan Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad


Individual loaves of herbed wheat bread
(herbs out of the garden)

London Broil, marinaded in our secret family recipe.

"Scallops From the Garden"
pan seared,
on a bed of homegrown, sauteed succotash,
with a pesto drizzle....
beautiful as well as delicious.
I garnished with fresh parsley and Nasturtium blossoms.

This book is a treasure....
a feast for the eyes as well as the palate.
Our dinner was wonderful...
the perfect ending to a hard day's work.

Much thanks to our kids for offering their time and strength!

Wild Mushroom and Jumbo Lump Crab Soup

2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup sherry
1 pound portabella, shiitake, and white mushrooms, sliced
(Pa is the Mushroom Capital...so these are local for us!)
1 quart chicken stock
1 pint heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

In large pan, heat olive oil and sherry.
Add mushrooms and saute until tender.
Add stock.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
Add heavy cream, simmer.
Add crab meat, and salt and pepper.

Serve...yummy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...you went all out..beautiful and I'm sure just as tasty

countrynmore said...

The recipes sound so yummy. You really went all out as usual.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Bev,

The way that you garden, preserve and cook you should {one day} be featured in the newest special publication from Stampington "Where Women Cook". So far I think the beehive cake and the steamed Christmas Tree cauliflour are my favorites that I know tasted as good as they looked. :0) Of course, everything looks divine!

You really are a grand domestic lady.♥ You make it all look so easy.

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails