Sunday, November 9, 2008

Head in the Clouds...Feet on the Ground

It seems that lately, I have been so very busy with life...not much room for playing...but still lots of room for dreaming. My dreams are of the new farmhouse we are starting in December. It will be a log home...replacing a contemporary styled, but very leaky and inefficient old house. When it is complete, we will live in the country full time. No more commuting.... I can hardly wait. It's funny, the old house is finally all torn down and, yet, in my dreams I have lived in the new one for so long now...busily decorating its' rooms to make it cozy and inviting.

I thought I would share with you my inspiration for one of the guest rooms. I found this picture in a shabby-chic decorating book. Though one of the walls in my guestroom will be log, the rest in that room will be dry-wall. That way I will still be able to acheive the look I want in the color of the walls.

I have ordered a reproduction antique iron bed (the old ones never came in Queen size) and will use a crocheted bedspread that my Grandmother made many years ago. I have a crocheted dust ruffle and a beautiful lilac quilt that will complete the bed.

This weekend I spent considerable time at a public auction about a mile from our farm, and was able to pick up a few extra pieces of furniture. An old wash stand that I got for a steal will fit nicely by the bed. Perhaps the most exciting acquisition was a box of beautiful linens. A gorgeous, vintage linen table cloth (perfect condition) and matching Damask napkins will be used in the dining room. But, what I found the yummiest of all was 13 sets of vintage pillow cases. Aren't they just beautiful? Some had rust spots, so I soaked them for several hours in very hot water and Oxy-clean. I laundered them in mild lavender laundry soap (vegetable based) and starched and ironed them when they were dry. I am so happy that all the rust stains came out, and they laundered beautifully. What I don't use on the iron bed, I will proudly display in my 200+ year old corner cupboard that will also occupy that guest room.

This is my favorite of the pillowcases. It is hand-embroidered....so adorable. It was covered with tiny rust spots.....but luckily, all of them came out with the Oxy-clean!

6 comments:

KatCollects said...

I absolutely love those doll pillowcases. Your new home sounds like it is going to be beautiful!!!
Kathy

Katmom said...

ok, so after your visit to us in July, I am flying back w/U and staying in that room! just try getting me out of there missy!!!
hahaha!
hugz,
>^..^<

Memaw's memories said...

When I go to estate sales, I look for linens like those and doilies and old cookbooks.

You certainly hit the jackpot with these pillow cases.

Kim said...

Your little house will be sooo adorable :) I can't wait to see it finished. You must be so excited.

Kim x

Bella Modiste said...

wow! gorgeous linens!
~Naomi

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Oh my gosh, the pillowcases are divine. I love the shabby decor too.

Steph

Related Posts with Thumbnails