Wednesday, December 30, 2009

For the Birds

For the past several years I have been saving my bacon grease in an old coffee can in anticipation of making my own suet. This morning I decided to give it a try. I looked around for suet recipes and came up with a myriad of ideas. What I found is that there are tons of variations. From this I infer that the recipe is not that important. So, I took that saved fat, melted it, and started to add solid ingredients.
I added peanut butter, oatmeal, corn meal, sunflower seeds, some whole grains from my bread baking pantry, and some mixed nuts that were beginning to get stale.I stirred the concoction until it was thoroughly mixed and then spooned it into an old OJ carton.Now, I will freeze it (setting it outside will do just fine....as it is bitter cold this week). Before serving to the birds, I will slice it into patties that fit perfectly into my suet holder. This suet will provide high energy fats and proteins to help our little feathered friends stay warm this winter.

10 comments:

GwendolynKay said...

How kind and thoughtful you are to think enough of our feathered friends to make your own suet for them. I am sure they will flock to your yummy treat. Blessings!
Gwen

countrynmore said...

Bev., you are so creative and thoughtful. Those birds are lucky to have you around.

shayna said...

Oh Beverly I love this!!! I will start saving my bacon grease now to try this at home!!! I may never buy suet again!

Unknown said...

What a great idea and so simple. Wish I had done this when I still ate meat, then I would have the bacon grease. Darn. Maybe I will get my neighbor to save it for me and then I can have a yard full of birds. Thanks for the post.

Stefunkc said...

What a wonderful idea! I have all the necessary things, except the holder. But I do need to make a trip to Wal-Mart. I can't wait to do this!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lucky little birds to have someone care for them during the cold months. We have stray cats all over the place in Kuwait. I keep old plastic containers and catfood in my car so I can feed some of them. My husband thinks I am crazy but it's the least that I can do and it makes me feel good. I certainly can bring them all inside to live with me. Blessings, Tammy

Anonymous said...

great idea...almost good enough to eat!!! The birds will be very happy they have found you..

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Oh, yummy!! I know how much they appreciate this special recipe. :0)

Stay Warm,
Steph

Anke said...

I've been wanting to make my own suet for some time. Time to start looking for recipes...

Anonymous said...

I've made my own already, but you gave me lots of new ideas to add to the grease to make a tastier mix. Love your post. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails